VALENTINE’S DAY SAFETY TIPS

  •  

     

    PET-SAFE FLOWERS – Please be aware that all species of lily are potentially fatal to cats.  Also, do not let pets near roses or other thorny-stemmed flowers.  Biting, stepping on or ingesting thorns can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs.  It is advisable to keep all flower arrangements out of your pet’s reach.

    CHOCOLATE – NO!!! Chocolate is highly toxic to pets.  Keep ALL Valentine’s Day candy out of your pet’s reach.

    GIFT WRAP – Be sure to properly  dispose of ribbons, bows, wrapping paper and balloons immediately after presents have been opened.  If swallowed, these long, stringy items can get lodged in your pet’s throat or digestive tract which can cause choking, vomiting or a possible abdominal obstruction.

    ALCOHOL – Since our pets are smaller than us humans, a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm.  Ingesting alcohol may cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing and even coma.  If a large enough amount of alcohol is ingested by your pet, it can be fatal.